Nothing New Under the Sun
That which has been is that which will be, And that which has been done is that which will be done.
This week, we recap, review, and analyze Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (機動戦士Ζガンダム) episode 30 - "Jerid's Desperate Attack" (ジェリド特攻), discuss our first impressions, and provide commentary and research on kissing in Japanese culture, and AEUG, Melanie Hugh Carbine, and the Young Officers Revolt of February 26, 1936.
- Essay on Kissing in Japanese culture:
“The Japanese Kiss.” A Lateral View: Essays on Culture and Style in Contemporary Japan, by Donald Richie, Stone Bridge Press, 2001, pp. 220–225.
- Dictionary page for seppun (接吻・せっぷん), the Japanese word for kiss.
- Essay about censorship that talks about kissing in Japan, and specifically about the exhibition of Rodin's "The Kiss."
Redactionary Global Modernism: Kisses in Imperial Japan Jonathan E. Abel From: Modernism/modernity Volume 21, Number 1, January 2014 pp. 201-229 | 10.1353/mod.2014.0020
- Papers that discuss kissing in Japanese culture, and how it was changed by the Occupation:
“Kissing Is a Symbol of Democracy!” Dating, Democracy and Romance in Occupied Japan 1945-1952, Journal of the History of Sexuality, 19(3), September 2010, 508-35.
Kamei, Shunsuke. “The Kiss and Japanese Culture after World War II.” Comparative Literature Studies, vol. 18, no. 2, 1981, pp. 114–123. JSTOR, <www.jstor.org/stable/40246247>. Accessed 21 Jan. 2020.
- Contemporary (early 2010s) articles about PDA and dating in Japan (the dating articles are written from the perspective of non-Japanese people dating a Japanese person, with an eye to likely culture clashes, and includes a section of physical affection):
- Book about the Young Officers Revolt (and gift from a listener!):
Ben-Ami Shillony, Revolt in Japan: The Young Officers and the February 26, 1936 Incident. Princeton UP (1973).
- The music used in the TNN was Floating Cities and the music used in Mouar's elegy was Clear Water. Both from https://filmmusic.io by Kevin MacLeod (https://incompetech.com) and licensed under CC BY (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
You can subscribe to the Mobile Suit Breakdown for free! on fine Podcast services everywhere and on YouTube, follow us on twitter @gundampodcast, check us out at gundampodcast.com, email your questions, comments, and complaints to [email protected]
Mobile Suit Breakdown wouldn't exist without the support of our fans and Patrons! You can join our Patreon to support the podcast and enjoy bonus episodes, extra out-takes, behind-the-scenes photo and video, MSB gear, and much more!
Mobile Suit Breakdown provides critical commentary and is protected by the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright law. Gundam content is copyright and/or trademark of Sunrise Inc., Bandai, Sotsu Agency, or its original creator. Mobile Suit Breakdown is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Sunrise, Bandai, Sotsu, or any of their subsidiaries, employees, or associates and makes no claim to own Gundam or any of the copyrights or trademarks related to it.
Copyrighted content used in Mobile Suit Breakdown is used in accordance with the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright law. Any queries should be directed to [email protected]
Find out more at http://gundampodcast.com