2.45: Stronger in the Broken Places
The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills.
This week, we recap, review, and provide analysis of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (機動戦士Ζガンダム) episode 44 - "The Gate of Zedan" (ゼダンの門), discuss our first impressions, and provide commentary and research on the inspiration for Haman Karn's name.
- English Wikipedia page for Herman Kahn. - A profile of Herman Kahn in the New Yorker, written as part of a review of a biography of the man:
Louis Menand, Fat Man, for New Yorker. June 20, 2005. Available at https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/06/27/fat-man
- New York Times article from Tokyo correspondent about the reaction in Japan to Herman Kahn's work:
Takashi Oka, The Emerging Japanese Superstate, for the New York Times. December 13, 1970. https://www.nytimes.com/1970/12/13/archives/the-emerging-japanese-superstate.html
- Article published by Kahn about Japan, around the same time as his first book about Japan:
Kahn, Herman, and Max Singer. “Japan and Pacific Asia in the 1970s.” Asian Survey, vol. 11, no. 4, 1971, pp. 399–412. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/2642697. Accessed 15 May 2020.
- Audio of an interview with Herman Kahn from circa 1967 about his book The Year 2000. CONTENT WARNING: VERY 1960s ERA DISCUSSIONS OF RACE AND RACIAL TENSIONS. Interview by Patricia Marx for WNYC.
- New York Times obituary of Herman Kahn:
Joseph B. Treaster, HERMAN KAHN DIES; FUTURIST AND THINKER ON NUCLEAR STRATEGY, for the New York Times. July 8, 1983. Available at https://www.nytimes.com/1983/07/08/obituaries/herman-kahn-dies-futurist-and-thinker-on-nuclear-strategy.html
- New York Times book review comparing several recently-published books about the Japanese economy by Kahn and others:
Frank B. Gibney, Success Story, for the New York Times. June 10, 1979. Available at https://www.nytimes.com/1979/06/10/archives/success-story-japan.html
- The TNN includes the following music:
Ranz des Vaches by Kevin MacLeod Link: https://incompetech.filmmusic.io/song/4263-ranz-des-vaches License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
Funky Chunk by Kevin MacLeod Link: https://incompetech.filmmusic.io/song/3789-funky-chunk License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
You can subscribe to Mobile Suit Breakdown for free! on fine Podcast services everywhere and on YouTube, follow us on twitter @gundampodcast, check us out at gundampodcast.com, email your questions, comments, and complaints to [email protected]
Mobile Suit Breakdown wouldn't exist without the support of our fans and Patrons! You can join our Patreon to support the podcast and enjoy bonus episodes, extra out-takes, behind-the-scenes photo and video, MSB gear, and much more!
Mobile Suit Breakdown provides critical commentary and is protected by the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright law. Gundam content is copyright and/or trademark of Sunrise Inc., Bandai, Sotsu Agency, or its original creator. Mobile Suit Breakdown is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Sunrise, Bandai, Sotsu, or any of their subsidiaries, employees, or associates and makes no claim to own Gundam or any of the copyrights or trademarks related to it.
Copyrighted content used in Mobile Suit Breakdown is used in accordance with the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright law. Any queries should be directed to [email protected]
Find out more at http://gundampodcast.com