The White Flag
And yet, there's no damage to the Mk. II's armor!
This week, we recap, review, and analyze Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (機動戦士Ζガンダム) episode 3 “Inside the Capsule” (カプセルの中), discuss our first impressions, and provide commentary and research on shihei (私兵) and private armies, the British East India Company, and Japanese composer Shigeaki Saegusa (三枝 成彰, formerly 三枝 成章).
- Japanese Wikipedia page for 民兵 (minpei), usually translated as "militia" but actually broader than the English sense of that word. Includes shihei and 軍閥 (gunbatsu).
- The early history of the British East India Company (BEIC) (brief).
- Wikipedia page on the BEIC.
- Wikipedia page on the BEIC's rule in India.
- Wikipedia page on the BEIC's private army.
*- Wikipedia page on the 1857 rebellion.
*- Wikipedia page on Sepoys.
- Articles regarding the BEIC's private army:
Irfan Habib, The Coming of 1857, Social Scientist, Vol. 26, No. 1/4 (Jan. - Apr., 1998), pp. 6-15, https://www.jstor.org/stable/3517577
"Origins of the British East India Company Army" by Hamid Hussain
Gilbert, A. (1975). Recruitment and Reform in the East India Company Army, 1760-1800. Journal of British Studies, 15(1), 89-111. https://doi.org/10.1086/385680
Innes, Percival Robert. The history of the Bengal European regiment : now the Royal Munster Fusiliers, and how it helped to win India (London : Simpkin, Marshall & Co., 1885)
(this one is Imperialist hagiography of the standard Rah Rah Glory!! sort, but it's also quite detailed and available in full text from archive.org)
Kiernan, V.G., Colonial Empires and Armies, 1815-1960 (McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP, 1998)
- A breakdown of the regiments in each of the Presidency Armies.
- Japanese Wikipedia page for composer Shigeaki Saegusa (三枝 成彰, formerly 三枝 成章).
- Shigeaki Saegusa’s webpage (Japanese).
- Business information for May Corporation.
- Japanese TV site “Bangumi” page for Shigeaki Saegusa.
- Japanese Wikipedia page for TV program NHK Nodo Jiman.
- Blog post discussing Shigeaki Saegusa’s involvement with the Gundam franchise.
- The 2006 Asahi Shinbun article I discuss, with Mariko Hayashi (novelist) interviewing Shigeaki Saegusa.
You can subscribe to the Mobile Suit Breakdown for free! on fine Podcast services everywhere and on YouTube, follow us on twitter @gundampodcast, check us out at gundampodcast.com, email your questions, comments, and complaints to [email protected]
Mobile Suit Breakdown wouldn't exist without the support of our fans and Patrons! You can join our Patreon to support the podcast and enjoy bonus episodes, extra out-takes, behind-the-scenes photo and video, MSB gear, and much more!
Mobile Suit Breakdown provides critical commentary and is protected by the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright law. Gundam content is copyright and/or trademark of Sunrise Inc., Bandai, Sotsu Agency, or its original creator. Mobile Suit Breakdown is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Sunrise, Bandai, Sotsu, or any of their subsidiaries, employees, or associates and makes no claim to own Gundam or any of the copyrights or trademarks related to it.
Copyrighted content used in Mobile Suit Breakdown is used in accordance with the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright law. Any queries should be directed to [email protected]
Find out more at http://gundampodcast.com