2.51: All Together Now
Slip inside the eye of your mind; all the things that you've seen slowly fade away. Her soul slides away... but don't look back in anger
This week, we recap, review, and provide analysis of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (機動戦士Ζガンダム) episode 50 - "Riders in the Skies" (宇宙を駆ける), discuss our impressions, and provide commentary and research on Scirocco's name and the "The-O" mobile suit.
- Japanese Wikipedia page for Paptimus Scirocco.
- Wikipedia page for the Sirocco wind (aka scirocco, jugo, siroc, xaloc, sciroccu, Σορόκος, siroco, xlokk, shirok, siròc, eisseròc, ghibli, khamsin, شْلُوقْ or شْهِيلِي).
- Forbes interview in which Tomino discusses working with Takahata and Miyazaki in the 1970s:
Ollie Barder, Yoshiyuki Tomino On 'Gundam', Newtypes And The Perilous Future Facing Humanity, Forbes.com, available at https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/03/13/yoshiyuki-tomino-on-gundam-newtypes-and-the-perilous-future-facing-humanity/#6c5c38754b8a
- From Anime News Network's encyclopedia, a comparison of the projects where Tomino, Miyazaki, and Takahata overlapped. Looking at the pages for individual projects you can see that they sometimes collaborated directly on individual episodes.
- Japanese Wikipedia page for "The-O."
- Forbes interview with Kobayashi Makoto (The-O's designer):
Ollie Barder, Makoto Kobayashi On Mecha Design And The Importance Of Red And Blue Paint, Forbes.com, June 25, 2016. Available at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/06/25/makoto-kobayashi-on-mecha-design-and-the-importance-of-red-and-blue-paint/#201328e6e369
- A blog entry from a collector of religious headwear with images and information about the "eboshi" hats.
- For a brief discussion of a modern Shinto priest's ceremonial garb, including the eboshi:
John Renard, The Handy Religion Answer Book, Visible Ink Press (2012).
- Pictures of modern shinto ceremonial garb including tall eboshi.
- A detailed English page about the different types of eboshi, with pictures, by Joshua L. Badgley.
- Book detailing both the types of kabuto eboshi as well as the methods of their construction:
Trevor Absolon, The Watanabe Art Musuem Samurai Armour Collection Volume I ~ Kabuto & Mengu (2011).
- Pictures of a historical eboshi kabuto, possibly from the Edo period.
- For Blavatsky's assertion that "theos" and a perfect circle were synonymous in the minds of "the ancients":
Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, The Secret Doctrine: Anthropogenesis, Theosophical Publishing Society (1902).
- English translation of Borges' "Pascal's Sphere":
https://www.filosofiaesoterica.com/pascals-sphere/ originally from Jorge Luis Borges, Other Inquisitions, 1937-1952, Souvenir (1973) (trans. Ruth L. C. Simms).
- The poem in the TNN is "Pax Saturni" by Ezra Pound.
- Nina references Percy Shelley's "Ozymandias" in the memorial for Scirocco.
- Music used in this episode includes:
Come Play with Me by Kevin MacLeod Link: https://incompetech.filmmusic.io/song/3526-come-play-with-me License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
Gregorian Chant by Kevin MacLeod Link: https://incompetech.filmmusic.io/song/3825-gregorian-chant License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
Grammophone Taps by Kevin MacLeod Link: https://incompetech.filmmusic.io/song/3820-grammophone-taps License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
You can subscribe to Mobile Suit Breakdown for free! on fine Podcast services everywhere and on YouTube, follow us on twitter @gundampodcast, check us out at gundampodcast.com, email your questions, comments, and complaints to [email protected]
Mobile Suit Breakdown wouldn't exist without the support of our fans and Patrons! You can join our Patreon to support the podcast and enjoy bonus episodes, extra out-takes, behind-the-scenes photo and video, MSB gear, and much more!
Mobile Suit Breakdown provides critical commentary and is protected by the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright law. Gundam content is copyright and/or trademark of Sunrise Inc., Bandai, Sotsu Agency, or its original creator. Mobile Suit Breakdown is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Sunrise, Bandai, Sotsu, or any of their subsidiaries, employees, or associates and makes no claim to own Gundam or any of the copyrights or trademarks related to it.
Copyrighted content used in Mobile Suit Breakdown is used in accordance with the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright law. Any queries should be directed to [email protected]
Find out more at http://gundampodcast.com