What Will You Do Now?
Gundam Ep. 18: Lone Gundam
This week, we recap and review Mobile Suit Gundam episode 18 (17 in the US), "Zeon's Secret Mine," discuss our first impressions, and provide commentary and research on: the science behind Zeon's new anti-Gundam tech - the Adzam Leader, forced labor of POWs, Japan's post-war economy, ninja outfits, and cognac.
- A discussion of inductive coupling, one of the technologies that our resident science-guest Iraj speculates could be responsible for the Adzam Leader's effect on the Gundam.
- Page from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum about the forced labor of Soviet POWs in Germany, and George Washington University "Memory and Reconciliation in the Asia-Pacific" research and policy program's page on Japan's use of POW forced-labor.
- NPR article about the Mitsubishi Corporation's apology for using POWs for forced-labor.
- Wikipedia article about Japan's "economic miracle." For more detailed information about the Japanese economy at that time, and the changes to standard of living that went along with it, this book is great:
Hane, Mikiso. Eastern Phoenix: Japan since 1945. Westview Press, 1998.
- A sketch of a 'traditional' ninja outfit, but Japanese painter Hokusai.
- A paper presented to the International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium using cognac as a case study to analyze factors influencing luxury exports, and a working paper by Instituto Politécnico de Leiria on European luxury brands strategies in Japan.
You can subscribe to the Mobile Suit Breakdown for free! on fine Podcast services everywhere and on YouTube, follow us on twitter @gundampodcast, check us out at gundampodcast.com, email your questions, comments, and complaints to [email protected]
Mobile Suit Breakdown provides critical commentary and is protected by the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright law. All Gundam content is copyright and/or trademark of Sunrise Inc., Bandai, or its original creator. Mobile Suit Breakdown is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Sunrise Inc. or Bandai or any of its subsidiaries, employees, or associates and makes no claim to own Gundam or any of the copyrights or trademarks related to it.
Copyrighted content used in Mobile Suit Breakdown is used in accordance with the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright law. Any queries should be directed to [email protected]
Find out more on the Mobile Suit Breakdown: the Gundam Anime Podcast website.